The GMC to be specific!
Yesterday when I was hauling a wagon of grain into the feedmill, I saw smoke coming from by the hind tire. I thought maybe a tire was rubbing or something, so I slowed down to pull over. About this same moment, I was meeting a car on the road and the driver started gesturing to me. I flicked my lights on and off trying to get Al's attention, ( he was ahead of me in the tractor with wagon), to no avail. I found out later he did not see the lights, but noticed I was slowing down. Apparently the headlights were gone already by that time.
Well, I stopped and got out to investigate. Sure enough, there was smoke coming out the back, but it was originating in the front. I got away from the truck and tried calling Al several times, but he said his phone did not ring! I was finally leaving a message, when all of a sudden the truck began to try to start by itself! At that point while I was telling Al what happened, I told him I was calling 911 and getting outta there.
By this time I was in a plowed field and tried to run around to the back of the truck where a women had stopped to see if I needed assistance. Have you ever tried to run in a plowed field, with snowpants and boots on I might add? Not easy! Anyway, I got through to the 911 dispatcher and she got the info and dispatched the fire dept and a deputy. According to the time log on my phone it was a little over nine minutes til when I could see the fire truck and hang up with the dispatcher.
In the meantime some guys had stopped in the front of the truck and were going to it with a fire extinguisher. I told the dispatcher about this and she said to wave them away, which I did and they backed off. A couple of minutes later someone else was going to the truck with the fire extinguisher and I tried to wave them off as well, but he wouldn't go without trying first. Guess who the JACKASS was? It was AL!!! At this point I started losing it somewhat, because here is my son trying to put out a vehicle fire, that I was afraid could explode at any moment. I finally yelled loud enough that the fire dept was on it's way and he backed off. I was very relieved then and glad there was someone there keeping me company. It helped to keep me mostly grounded. Turns out this woman's son was one the volunteer fireman who responded.
Ok, so they finally got the fire out, and mostly all I could think of was " There goes my purse and everything in it" If not burnt up, then destroyed by the water or whatever they were spraying in the truck. Then the deputy came and got some info and I finally got to go to the truck. First thing I did was get my purse which was wet and stinky, but intact, which is more than I can say for the GEMS. It was destroyed in the front. And guess what? Being that it was an older truck we had taken the comprehensive insurance off and had only liability, so it is a total loss to us, but the insurance will pay for the fire call, so far, but you know insurance companies, if they can get away without paying they will.
Obviously I or no one else was hurt or I wouldn't be writing this. During my drive before this happened, I was thinking about blowing a tire or something and praying a little, and jokingly said to myself, " May the Force be with me" ( God in my case, not the Star Wars Force, Jason, but you did come to mind). So, I guess He was with me as all that was lost was a truck.
Thank-You GOD!
So that's my story. And this just after I was telling Jessica online that nothing was new here. Once in awhile, I guess we do get some excitement in our lives, thankfully it is rare. I will take my dull boring life over this anytime.
Wednesday, December 8, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Well, I am glad that no one was hurt. Guess you will be wanting a new purse for Christmas.
Does everyone drive around with a fire extinguiser in their car? Maybe I need to get one.
Of couse it would be Al to risk his life and try to save the day. Doesn't he reaslize that he has cheated death enough already. He is not a cat with nine lives.
Post a Comment